Saturday, July 16, 2011

Where To Begin....at the Beginning of course!

I am sitting here filtiring through all sorts of weight loss web pages and books. And I am wondering which one is the best for me. I have done weight watchers before and have had success so I am leaning towards picking that up again (it makes it easieer because I already have all the books and stuff needed and already know what it takes.) I talked with my doctor a couple of months ago about losing weight and asked what he suggested. He told me about a new low carb diet that he was doing and he thought I should give it a try. I am hesitent about low carb diets...I am aware that they work but my weakness seems to be carbs. I love bread, pasta, cereal...you name it! So I am not sure how successful I would be on a low carb diet. I need something I could stick with.
I had another chat with another Dr at the hospital that I work at. He likes to come into my office and check on "his gals" as he calls us. I told him about my weight loss plans and how I am struggling with it and asked what he thought. He asked a few questions and asked if I had looked into the lap band. I hadn't and he got me some information on it. The good thing is that my insurance would cover it right now if I decided this was the best route. But once you have it done you have to follow an extremely strict diet, and it's still surgery...which is always a down side. So as of right now I think it best for me to stick to a regular diet such as weight watchers.

Today I went out and bought a digital scale so I can weigh myself and I also plan on tracking inches lost around my waist. I am starting to get pumped up and am hoping I can keep it up. I've started so many times it seems and then I just stop doing it. I do have a couple of questions for my readers and I hope to get some good insight from you!!! SO PLEASE COMMENT!!!

1. What weight loss programs have you tried? Have they worked for you and were they easy to follow?
2. What do you do when you work in an office of people who seem to constantly eat? The women I work with are good cooks and bakers and are ALWAYS bringing in some sort of goodie...I feel like I hurt their feelings everytime I decline what they brought in. Is there a polite way to say no? Can I take the treat and possibly throw it away later without them knowing about it?
3. This question sort of ties in with the last question. what are your suggestions to living with my parents who seem to have a sweet tooth? I know there is always ice cream and soda in the house...how do I avoid this? I don't know if I'm really THAT big of a soda drinker; I think for me its more or less about flavor. So with that being said, can anyone recommend something to put in my water that has no calories or sugar and yet still has a decent flavor?

Just some food for thought! Till next time...Happy Eating!!!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah, if you join weight watchers, let me know because I do it. We could be WW friends online.

    As far as lap band, from what I've heard, it seems it is easier to follow that strict diet because you aren't as hungry. However, if you are anything like me, it doesn't matter if you are hungry or not.

    I think it would be ok to tell the women you work with, (maybe sit everyone down together, so they know you aren't just talking to them - or send an email), and let them know that you are really trying to be healthier and it is difficult for you when they bring in all those yummy things. Tell them you aren't asking them to not bring in things, but that you are going to try to not eat them, so if you say no, they will know why. Or you can even ask them to not offer it to you so it is easier for you.

    You might need to sit down with your parents as well. Let them know what you are trying to do and that it is really hard for you when the stuff is in the house. Ask them if they would be willing to try having less in the house so it is easier for you to make good choices(it is their house, so asking them to stop buying what they want to buy might not be the best idea). After you are used to eating a different way, it won't be as big a deal to have those things around. I'll tell you it was so much easier for me to be healthy when I wasn't living at my parents house - because there were always treats and sodas around.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get a convenient water bottle. One with a flip-top lid, so you don't even have to unscrew it. It sounds goofy, I know, but it makes a difference for me. Fill it up in the morning when you go for a walk (because I know you'll be going for a walk now!), fill it up when you get back, and keep drinking it throughout the day. It should help cut out some of the extra snacks during the day. Aaron uses this new Mio water flavorer, so you might try that. You might have to get your own ice stash ;) if you want to keep it cold. Mine has to be cold or I don't drink it. This has helped me, and maybe it will help you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it, Sarah! :) Can't wait to read about all of your success. I think deadlines are good motivation! Do you have an idea of the date you'd like to lose, say, 45 lbs by?

    If you set a six month goal, and hit it - let me know: the pageant community in MO would be very willing to pamper you for a day! :)

    Jen Shults-Nackerud

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you, Sarah. We can still go out for lunch. We will do it healthy! I think WW is an excellent program.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I gave up soda I use crystal light pomagranite cherry flavor or sunrise orange...lots of flavor. I too use every excuse in the book not to exercise or to eat something I know I shouldn't. I agree avoid the lap band as an option of very last resort. and exercise like crazy.... love you sis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of weight lifting. When you tone muscle, your metabolism will be higher on days you don't even exercise. And for me, weight lifting lowers my appetite while cardio raises it.

    I recommend the book You: On A Diet. It will help you understand why sugar makes you gain more weight than fatty foods.

    Get rid of clothes as soon as they are too big.

    Love yourself how you are right now. Just as money can't buy happiness, neither can a svelte body.

    ReplyDelete