Friday, August 19, 2011

Through The Years

Wonderful News, I have lost 20 pounds. I keep standing on the scale because I just don't believe it. I knew I had been striving for that goal but I HONESTLY don't think that I have been giving it my 100% best effort. I could always do better...but couldn't we all?!?! Anyway YAY!!!

Over the last couple of days I have been reminising about my life and thinking of all the times I have tried to lose weight; trying to remember at what point I really started gaining weight and what growing up being overweight meant for me.
As far back as I can really remember I have been overweight. But I guess I really noticed gaining weight at least twice in my life. The first time being after my oldest sister and I were in a car accident, I know I was only 5 at the time but it was a very stressful year for our entire family; and we tend to be emotional eaters meaning we eat our emotions (if we are happy we eat, if we are bored we eat etc etc etc.) The second time I remember starting to gain more weight was in Junior High. I would have to say my 7th and 8th grade years were the worst for me. I know people tell me to forget about the negative things that have been said and remember the positive; but it wasn't always things that were said by my peers it was their actions. One thing I never shared with anyone is how bullied I was in 8th grade because of my weight. I had one classmate who was brutal, she use to poke my stomach and make pilsburry dough boy jokes and would get others in on the joke. One other time that I especially remember is her bringing one of those rubber gloves (the kind you find in a hospital) to school and filling it with milk. She proceded to attach it to my bookbag while I wasn't looking and then had several people "mooing." I luckily had a few wonderful teachers who got me through those years.
I believe it is instences like these that made me hate talking about my weight for so long. Everytime someone brought up anything that had to do with weight or my eating habbits I would get emotional. I have overcome that thankfully, am have found a way to talk about my weight that I am comfortable with. It isn't always easy, and sometimes I do begin to feel self concious about myself. But it is these times that I have to remember that despite my size I am still beautiful. I am not writing this to get people to feel sorry for me, I am just wanting to share my experiences in weight loss whether they be good or bad. My main reason for wanting to lose weight and eat better is just to be healthier; I want to be an example to people and be around for a long time to harass my family and friends *insert evil laugh here!* Until next time...Happy Eating!

4 comments:

  1. Good job Sarah! 20 pounds is no small thing.

    Those growing up years can be really tough, can't they. I have distinct memories of some things done to me. I still have a hard time volunteering information in any sort of class because of people making fun of me for knowing answers to questions in elementary school. It is great that you can recognize times that have been hard for you and now talk about them so you can get past them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We both know that I have problems with my weight. I've gained and lost tons of the years. It's ridiculous. Im on a mission right now to lose weight, but it's not workin for me. I commend you in your efforts and congratulate you on your weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! 20 lbs is AWESOME! Keep up the good work! And that includes the bad memories. It is important to realize how you got where you are so that you can over come those things and move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sarah! Just checked your blog, and I want to say great job and good luck. Weight loss is such a tough journey. I've lost 60 pounds over the past 2 years, and I feel so much better. You definitely have it in you to reach your goal!!

    ReplyDelete